Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 5 months ago

i have a violin performance today and im so nervous. help?

during practice i play the piece well but as soon as i play it with the accompanist i play too fast and my left hand cramps up, so i can't even put in vibrato or even get my fingers to go fast enough because its cramped up and frozen and my right hand goes all floppy so my bow skids. its so bad that before hand when i have to do a quick tune up with piano in front of everyone i just can't even hear if its out of tune or not because im already so scared. i dont know what to do, my piece is 5 minutes long. the audience is only going to be other students and parents but some of the younger kids are so much better than me and im embarrassed to stuff up.

Update:

i ended up crying in the car and not coming out. i felt so horrible after because i let my nerves get the best of me. I have to perform next time, but i decided im doing the same piece so i can perfect it, then hopefully i wont be as nervous?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

Nerves are a thing that happens to even famous professional musicians who tour the world. You just have to hack your brain to make the nerves work for you and not against you. Easier said than done but basically every performer deals with it in one way or another, so you're not alone. Try different strategies and see what works for you.

I don't know how old you are, so maybe don't try this if you're really young, but I've heard beta blockers can really help with performance nerves, if they're really bad. Haven't tried them myself though.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

how did it go? what did you decide to do?

• 5 months ago

So how did it go?

• Me2
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

I'm nearly immune to stage fright because, even before a performance, I'm so focused on the music that I hardly notice an audience.  Perhaps you need to learn to be single-minded about the music and consider the listeners to be irrelevant.  While this is unlikely to be helpful with an impending performance, it can develop over a little time.

As your anxiety is beyond your control, seek professional help.  Counseling, likely combined with medication, may be very helpful.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

It doesn't sound like you're getting any enjoyment out of your music. Just quit and find something you can enjoy and relax with. Good luck.

• Andy C
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Picture everyone in their underwear, socks and glasses.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.