Is it possible to create an Xbox Live account with a microsoft account?

For the last few days I have been trying to create an Xbox Live account. I have seen others do it without a microsoft account. However I did at first create a microsoft account but verifying has been a nightmare, I've been asked to verify multiple times, and had codes sent to my phone but everytime it... show more For the last few days I have been trying to create an Xbox Live account. I have seen others do it without a microsoft account. However I did at first create a microsoft account but verifying has been a nightmare, I've been asked to verify multiple times, and had codes sent to my phone but everytime it doesn't let me sign due to "not being verified" so is it possible to do this with no microsoft account aka skip verification?
Update: Title should say Is it possible to create an Xbox Live account without a microsoft account?