Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 8 months ago

How to reduce Wifi consumption?

Dear Community,

Is there a way to reduce someone from hogging up all the Wifi? I tried to speak to my parents and my sister about her using up all the wifi when I try to game, but she refuses. So basically, she can watch Netflix all day long with great quality but I lag and freeze in a whole match in a AAA game. When she stops watching it, my Internet goes back to normal and no problems with gaming. How can I reduce her Wifi speed so she can watch like at 480p and still allow me to play games without issues? Thanks!

Also, I can't wire it to the router nor can it be upgraded or get a new ISP. Is there an app to do this?

just get rid of your sister lol problem solved

• GTB

You can install managed switch capable (802.1q) managed router, managed switches and wireless access points that are 802.1q capable, set up different virtual LANS, and then allocate priority. This will cost you ~ $3,000 and will take some time configure properly but this will do the job.

• Adrian

There is no app that can control usage between different devices, because you do not have control of the other device.

The only place to control usage is in the router itself. Log into the router and see if it has QoS. That is a form of priority for traffic. If it does, read up router manual (usually found online) and set your PC to a higher priority than all other devices. It may not solve your problem totally, but should improve your gaming/network performance.

Otherwise, not much you can do except buy higher speed Internet or a second Internet service just for yourself...

• Terry8 months agoReport

YES there IS. Go into the router QOS settings and put YOUR MAC address FIRST. Then THAT computer will get preference. Most people don`t now about that, so if you do it, DON`T tell them.

Go into the router settings and go to the preference setting and put YOUR computer FIRST. Don`t say ANYTHING to anyone about it. Then laugh when she snivels.

you can talk to the people that own the Wi-Fi and asked if you chip in some money if they will buy the next fastest speed.

Ask your parents to sign up for second ISP so that your sister can have one and you can use the other one.

• Rick B

Perhaps you should plug your game into the router. Hard wire it. Instead of wifi.

Get a better service provider, and a wider broadband package.