Who here remembers taking tubes out of the TV, then down to the drug store to test them on the machine and get replacements?

Favorite Answer

LOL! Yeah, we used to do that.

I also remember going with my parents to Sears on a Friday night so we could watch The Flintstones in color. They had five or six color TVs on, for demonstration purposes, and the colors were all disgusting--like orange skin tones. Not a good ad for color TV.

Much later I was trained as a broadcast engineer, and that was all about tubes because big radio transmitters still use tubes. I learned to use every scale on a slide rule! That year the HP35 came out, the first pocket calculator. They cost $350 and each instructor got one.

• Uncle Pennybags

Beats me. I always remember having a color TV in the house. A great RCA 23" console I think that my parents bought in 1965 I think. Don't know how they afforded it, but it was always there in the house. Great TV. We used that for 20 years.

yes, I do remember those days

Guitar amps and grandpa's house.

He was a radio engineer and had an ample supply of tubes and a tester. If he didn't have one, a phone call or two and a tube would be found at a buddy's place. Very rarely would a tube need to be ordered.

• ron h

I did that when i was 14, maybe 12.

ma usually bought one used 60,seventy bucks,we ran it till the verts started fast vrting,,banged it on the side till the vrting stopped,we twisted the 4 front panel controls until they no longer did anything to improve the pic,,when it went daid,,out in the alley & ma got another used set,we did have a wood chassis floor tv maybe a muntz for years,a repair guy was called to pull the set out from the wall,ran a couple tests,got 2 or 3 tubes from his van,,50 bucks,

I remember it vividly, We lived within walking distance of a Lafayette store, and later a Tandy Electronics (RadioShack) Store in the early 60's, so we could buy soldering supplies as well. We had a Motorola B & W for a few years back then. Good Times!

Yes I do I used to take tubes out of the TV all the time down to the drugstore and plug them in and get the replacement tubes.

• lare

yes, i did that. as the youngest child in my family, i was the designated electronics guru. it did not take me long to figure out from the diagnostics of the set behavior what tube was the culprit, so i rarely tested more than one or two at a time.

That was a long time ago, same for car radios and house radios.

I did one better. I happened to be in a EE course before I switched to physics. So while I was in the EE course I was allowed and even encouraged to take the tube testing equipment from the EE lab home with me to test my TV. And that's what I did.