Tori asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 7 months ago

Which is the better lawn mower?

I finally just moved into my new home! Yaaaay!

But seriously guys,

Which is the better brand (If neither, what brand would you recommend)

John Deer vs Craftsman

My new home sits on 2 acres of land and I’m going to get a riding lawn mower. I really don’t know much about lawn mowers. I’m a 5’0 foot nothing 108 lb blonde living alone lol don’t judge me.

Oh yeah, should I get a gas weed eater or electric weed eater?

They both have their pros and cons.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 months ago

I’ve had a John Deere, & craftsman and both were good mowers for 3 or 4 years.

Both had the same 22 horse Briggs & Stratton engine (identical with only their own badges changed)

The Craftsman was cheaper by almost a thousand dollars.

Jdeere DID NOT stand by their product when all of the spindles went bad at 30 hours and the local dealership charged me $500 to replace them.

I’d buy the Craftsman.

I still have it a a backup and the jdeere was hauled off to the junk man last year.

My main mower now is a zero turn and I’m very happy 2 years in.

It cost allot but once you’ve used a zero turn you won’t go back! (Steep learning curve for me to learn to drive however.)

With 2 acres, I would def invest in a zero turn

As for weed eaters, I’ve had a 22V battery powered very light weight Worx for 5 years with zero problems except 5 years in the batteries are lasting shorter times but hey....5 years.

It came with 2 batteries so you can go awhile and it is of equal power to my corded one.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

Easy. JD for sure

• 7 months ago

John Deere mowers *from a John Deere dealer. Make sure the dealer understands how much lawn you have. They should have an area where you can try a few of them out before you buy. We just purchased a Husqvarna Battery powered weed whacker from A Husqvarna Dealer. The battery was fully charged from the dealer and he said NOT to recharge the 36 volt battery until the trimmer quit altogether. Thus far my wife has trimmed everything around our property twice and battery shows it's still half way charged.

I have 1/3 of an acre and do mine with a John Deere X300 with a 42 inch deck. If your land is relatively flat you'd get done quicker with a 48 or 54 inch deck. The bigger the mower the more space they'll take-up in your garage.

• Ann
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

John Deere has been around for a long time, and they build excellent equipment. Craftsman mowers tend to have some problems. Also, gas weed eaters are heavier, but if you maintain one properly, it will last a long time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • paul h
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

Congrats on the new home!! I'd say either mower brand will be ok for you but I'm a fan of JD equipment so that one gets the nudge from me. Mom grew up on a farm and they had JD tractors, etc... For your size of area, I'd go with at least a 42" model and a hydrostatic drive system is easier to operate. I'd also say that whichever brand you buy will need to be based on where it's easiest to get parts and repairs done so it's also based on what dealers and repair shops you have around your area. Ask local repair shops which brand they prefer to work on. Deere is getting a bad rep since they don't allow access to shops or average homeowners to free online repair info/data so that's a point to consider as well. Look into getting a repair manual right away for whatever model/brand you buy...will come in handy in the long run for future maintenance and repairs.

As for trimmers, I'm partial to Stihl products, gas powered ones for doing large areas or heavy weeds/brush but a good electric battery model will work fine for smaller areas.Modern battery operated ones typically have 40-60 volt battery packs and can last quite a while for trimming or opt for an extra battery if needed but still lack the power of a gas model. Echo is one brand that gets high marks from commercial users in the battery powered respect.

And if you struggle with pull starting a gas model, Troy-Built offers models that can be started with a battery, electric drill adapter or corded power pack..Jump Start option....much easier for smaller persons with less upper body strength. My brothers girlfriend bought one for use on her farm and loves the ease of it....also no need to mix gas and oil since it is a 4 cycle engine.

https://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/troy-b...

And one more suggestion...always make sure to use non-ethanol premium fuels (sold at some gas stations like Kwik Trip for boating or motorcycle users) in gas operated machines and drain the fuel system /carb/gas tank in the off season or when equipment sits unused for months to avoid carburetor clogging issues. Some lawn tractors have fuel shutoff valves in the system so you can shutoff the fuel supply and run the engine until it quits to remove fuel from the carb during storage. Modern small engine machines have to meet newer EPA emissions standards and are very fussy about carb adjustments/clogging issues...not like the old days with adjustable mixture screws. Such modern carbs are easier to clog up which then makes for starting/operating issues. Probably 90 percent of small engine starting or running issues are due to old,bad gas in the fuel system and carb passages clogging.

• 7 months ago

Get yourself a John Deere you just can't go wrong

Lv 7
    7 months ago

I don't know much about riding ones, but I did my research on push lawnmowers and week eaters. For those, I would recommend, the Honda 21 in. Nexite Deck mower, model number HRX217HYA. I also would suggest a Husqvarna 324L that runs on gas.

• Mark
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

Push mowers get the job done, but mowing two acres of grass on a hot summer day is extremely unpleasant.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

John Deere. Craftsman has a tendency for its tube to clog.

Normally, I would say "electric", but like someone else said on here, "you don't want to have to drag a corded machine around on 2 acres". So unless you have multiple outlets on your property (we did), get a gas-powered weed-eater.

• Tori7 months agoReport

Thank you very, very much!

• Congrats on your new home! My wife and I are one year in with our new home as well! I ended up buying a Yard Machines push lawn mower. My property is only a quarter acre (I live in a city). But I recommend Yard Machines. They are a very good brand that should last a very long time.

Black & Decker is the brand of my weed whacker (13 in). It has a battery pack.

• Tori7 months agoReport

Thank a lot for the suggestion! I will look into that!

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

Def John Deer

As for weed eaters go with gas, you won't be able to drag a cord around 2 acres,. The battery powered ones are junk. Go with the gas one, I use a stihl which works great for me./

Congrats on the new home!! Sounds exciting.

• ...Show all comments
    • dtstellwagen
      Lv 7
      7 months agoReport

4 years ago bought a Husq, 2.5 years it needed a $700+labor transmission, if you want it you can come get it off my scrap heap.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.