Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCorporations · 6 months ago

Can an employer change someone’s time off from vacation days to sick days under these circumstances?

To explain, it happened to me. I took Wednesday-Friday off because I had a couple of plans. But those didn’t fall through because I ended up having to stay home and rest the whole time. It’s Friday today as you all probably know, I thought about calling my supervisor and asking her if can change my vacation days to sick days because I don’t want to waste my vacation time not feeling and not doing what I wanted to do. My work does allow the employees to use their sick time when they are scheduling time off. But I was wondering if I could have that time off switched from vacation to sick although I’ve pretty much gone through the 3 days already.

Thanks!

Hello

We dont know your employer policy but the answer based on my experience is NO

Best

That's up to your employer.

I do that for my employees all the time. It's way easier for me if they schedule their sick time than if they call in sick.

The flip side of what you are requesting is that if/when you get sick, you may not have sick time.

Maybe if you had a doctors note, but it doesn’t sound like you do.

It depends on your employer's employment policies which nobody on here is going to know. A good employer might credit holiday days for certified sickness days, particularly if it is several days. It might be left to the discretion of ,managers.

Only your employer can decide that. If you're valuable enough to them, they might accommodate you. I once took a vacation day, and then it snowed, so everyone was off. But it still counted against my vacation time. My supervisor, "It may not be fair, but it's just."

• I don't see anyone doing this for you, considering they already allow you to use sick time as vacation time.

When in doubt, assume that least possible work for everyone is the status quo.

Oh and by not trying to do this, you don't become the office joke "Hey can you believe that guy wanted to call in sick for his vacation?"

go to the personel orrifice ,settle it with them

if you were treated unfairly,complain to the labor board

Do you really think that some anonymous stranger on the internet knows what your employer's policies are?

Oh, no! It's not possible