I'm going to install Windows 7 to my 2005 PC because I put Windows 10 on it and it's slow, by downgrading the OS will it run faster?

I got a 2005 PC in March or April, and I installed Windows 10 on it. But now I'm starting to think I should've installed Windows 7 or lower because it's very slow, by installing Windows 7 would my computer run faster than it does now with Windows 10?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Hi.

The odds are that it will run much better under Win7, as long as You use a 32bit installation disc.

Your other problem to consider is finding the correct hardware device drivers to re-install for Win7.

If this is Your only system to use for downloading & online access I highly recommend You create a linux OS flashdrive to be able to use it for getting the online files to do the Windows repair with.

I personally use Puppy linux from both flashdrives & bootable CDs whenever I don't want to "Go Windows", or feel "The Microsoft experience" (Seems a lot like being the new guy in a prisoner area).

G'Luck!!!

• 6 months ago

definitely. Downgrading it will make it faster and i highly downgrading to either Vista Xp Or back to 7.

Source(s): love computers and long time windows user. Have done same thing as user is talking about.
  • Mr. T
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I'm surprised W10 would have no given you an error saying a single core processor (P4) & 1 GB of RAM will not run W10.

Installing W7 onthat will take you at least 2 days. Once W7 is installed there are 300+ updates to install.

I would suggest to purchase a newer system with a minimum of 4 GB of RAM (2013 & up) off your local Craigslist → then install W10. If the computer was an orginal W8 or 8.1 then you don't need a Product Key. W10 will activate once online.

\😎/

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No, it will not run faster. You need to build a new PC. 2005 is too old.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i would just try it and see and then you'll know

• P
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

A PC that old is much slower than most smart phones and it will be painful even doing simple things on the internet which requires a lot more power than it did 15 years ago. I'm not sure if I would really want to invest any more time into it. You really need something like an SSD, but it's not worth putting money into an old machine like that.

• 6 months ago

I'm not sure why you would even want to install Windows 10 on a nearly 15 year old PC.... But anyways, you didn't tell us what the PC's specs are. It might run a bit better under Windows 7, but I wouldn't really count on it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.