Blocked nose won’t go away, help?!?

My nose has been blocked for almost a month now, and does anyone have any idea on how to fix this? (without going to the doctor forst?)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Dissolve a pinch of salt on your tongue followed a glass of plain water. Do this frequently throughout the day and it will work for you.

The reason for the congestion in the first place is that dehydration tends to dry out the mucous membranes in the sinuses. To prevent damage, the brain produces mucous and congestion to keep the tissues moist.

Once properly hydrated, there won't be any more need to protect the tissues, so the congestion will dissolve.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

It's safe to try these two things together for a month: Flonase, as Jen suggests, and Claritin tablets (or the generic equivalent). You can also try a neti pot with saline solution as many times a day as you like.

If the problem is sinusitis or allergies, these things will improve the congestion.

However, among the causes for blocked nasal passages are permanently swollen turbinates--the inside part of your nose, way deep. This swelling can be temporarily reduced by Afrin nasal spray, but it's not safe to use it more than three consecutive days.

If the other stuff doesn't help and the Afrin does, then you need to see a doctor. There are out-patient procedures to reduce the size of the turbinates. I had it done about fifteen years ago and it was greatly improved for more than ten years. Now it's getting bad again and I'll get something done about it soon enough.

• Jen
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

try over the counter Flonase

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Of course, you should see a doctor - it could be a pollyp (pre--cancerous growth) especially since your previous posts are about trouble swallowing & blurred vision.

# Jen: WRONG

• Jen
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

(nasal polyps are not pre cancerous and would not cause blurred vision)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.