Why does Christianity object to idolatry?

Don't say because Jesus said so, or it is in the Bible. My question is why is it in the Bible, or why did Jesus say so? What could be so objectionable worship of images or idols as a symbol of God? A mature devotee would understand that it is the idea it represents that's important, not the wooden or... show more Don't say because Jesus said so, or it is in the Bible.
My question is why is it in the Bible, or why did Jesus say so?

What could be so objectionable worship of images or idols as a symbol of God?
A mature devotee would understand that it is the idea it represents that's important, not the wooden or stone structure. What is the harm if an unprepared, unfocused mind uses a form to represent the idea of God?

Would you burn the Bible, because it is just a book, or revere it for the sublime thoughts is contains?
Then the Bible too is a symbol / idol, isn't it?

Why would you object if the Bible is used by someone to remind someone of God?

Of course, it is undesirable that the idol replaces the idea or if devotees started obsessing over them, ignoring the original purpose? Is idolatry objectionable for that reason?
Or is it the utterance of a jealous God? ('Thou shalt not have other gods before me' and hence do away with idols of other gods.)
Or is there some other reason?