Is it legal to raise my rent but not the tenants next door?

My rent has been raised AGAIN $50.00, but in talking to the next door neighbor they didn't get theirs raised. The landlady told me I complain too much, & the other tenants don't constantly complain. Is that a reason to raise my rent & not raise theirs? I have had to complain because things never get... show more My rent has been raised AGAIN $50.00, but in talking to the next door neighbor they didn't get theirs raised. The landlady told me I complain too much, & the other tenants don't constantly complain. Is that a reason to raise my rent & not raise theirs? I have had to complain because things never get done. The fence needs to be repaired, drawers in the hallway need to be repaired where I can use them, the ceiling fan needs to be changed, or at least balanced, the window AC needs to be replaced. She does nothing & claims she can't find a reliable handyman who will show up & do the work.
Update: Both the neighbor & I have rented month to month from the very start.
Update 2: Unfortunately there is no rent control as of yet in the town I live in. They are trying to pass it & I will be happy when & if they do.