Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 6 months ago

Should I get an iPad Pro or a MacBook for college?

I start college in Fall and was planning on getting a new laptop, but I heard the iPad is good for college. Is that true? my two options are the 12.9 inch iPad Pro for $999 or the MacBook Air for $1,199. I can't afford the MacBook Pro, so which one is better, iPad Pro or MacBook Air for college? thanks.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

MacBook is the best choice for college

wanna know more...

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptops-fo...

• 6 months ago

iPad is not a (full) PC/laptop replacement. It's still a tablet that basically uses lighter apps for basic or average productivity like word processing/spreadsheets/notes but may not be allowed to install specific software for class/college/work.

The MacBook or a Windows laptop will suit you better in the long term. Yes, you can talk to current instructions concerning their computing preferences, but usually their software requirements have to run on both iOS or Windows machines. And if they use browser-based apps, then they intend students to access using Chrome/Edge/Safari/etc which can be accessed using any PC/laptop/tablet type or brand.

And you'll have completely different instructors next year, who'll have their own preferences. Get a laptop & maybe a companion tablet device instead. Which the MS Surface solves all of that in one machine.

Be sure to get a 1-2 yr damage warranty no matter what you get.

• SRΛSC
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Depends on your needs there. I personally would prefer a laptop over a tablet but for others they can get by just fine with just the iPad.

• 6 months ago

A better choice would be an Acer Swift or Spin. Small, powerful, looks amazing and priced way better than a Mac or iPad. Also, it comes with Windows so its more suited to what you need and supports much more. It's easier to use too.

Another benefit is that there is not real expiry on Windows based computers as there are many support companies and even the manufacturer will support it if they have the parts. Apple products, on the other hand, are considered "Antiques" after 5 years and they will not even look at it if you have a problem with it later on.

I had a Mac Pro that developed a mainboard or power supply issue. To this day I still don't know what the problem is as the power supply and mainboard have different connectors than normal components and Apple refused to help as it was 6 years old at the time and they said it was an "Antique". If that's an antique, whats the Mac from 1973 referred as? I have one of those too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • opurt
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

The downside of the iPad Pro is that you're limited to apps from the App Store, and that you need to buy a keyboard as well so that needs to factored into the cost.

The MacBook will let you run any Mac-compatible software so while it's more expensive it's also more flexible.

As to which might be better for a college student, that would have a lot to do with the program you're in. You might even be better served by a Windows-based laptop or tablet.

• 6 months ago

none of them because ios and macos isnt good for your needs. its better to purchase a laptop with Windows inside because it has more compatibility with softwares and have ms office thats better than other office packs. try Xiaomi Air 2019 models, it has 12.5 inch if you want small, and 13, and 15.6" if you want bigger.

Ah, and probably you will feel more confortable to work in laptop instead of ipad/tablets.

If you are afraid about xiaomi produts, buy ASUS, Lenovo or Dell.

If I remember Dell XPS 13 is the same price of the apple air 13.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I would check with the College. If you know what courses your going to take, check with the Instructors and see if they have any special requirements for submitting lessons or if they have any requirements for a specific type of PC.

• 6 months ago

i dont know how to answer this more than 15 characters

• 6 months ago

Personally, I'd ignore all Apple products as they are too expensive and support ends 5 years after model ceases production.

• 6 months ago

bro get the one that you want to get. Learn to think for yourself instead of asking others what you should get.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.