What does this Rumi quote means, "I am in you and I am you. No one can understand this until he has lost his mind." ?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

I think it means we're all part of a bigger something, that something being life itself. You are life, and so am I. Hence "I am in you and I am you."

Rumi is saying that in order to grasp that, one must release the ego-mind. The ego is what gives us the illusion of having an individual experience, i.e., feeling separate from others.

I've experienced this in the following way:

My apartment happens to overlook a bus stop in downtown Seattle. On occasion, I've taken a moment to relax and just 'people watch'. I might see a man going to work (and I realize that could be me). I might see a drunk man or a drug addict not having the greatest of mornings (and I can see myself in that person). I might see a woman waiting for a bus with her newborn in a stroller (and I realize that if I were a woman, that could easily be me).

So you see, we are not so separate and different as our ego mind would have us believe.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.