Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 9 months ago

Becoming a Physician Assistant after getting rejected from medical school?

I have a 3.3 GPA and I just finished my sophomore year of pre med at Michigan state. I want to work in medicine, but my gpa and my future test scores may not be up to par to get into med schools, considering I am asian and I heard it is even more competitive for us to get into med school. I have thought about becoming a P.A. which I would be happy with becoming if I get rejected. Obviously it is not easy, but if I keep my GPA at a 3.3, will it be difficult to become a P.A? Also, is it common for pre meds to become PAs?

Favorite Answer

Actually, Asians have a higher percentage of the student body in universities, medical schools, etc, than their percentage of the population. So you're blaming the wrong thing.

Your problem is your GPA is too low so far to qualify for PA or MD programs. These (and other health-related professions) have become extremely competitive. Do not expect to have the slightest chance of admission to med school with any GPA below 3.75/3.85, and certainly over 3.5 for PA programs (or physical therapy, dentistry, etc.).

• :)

You’re wrong about the Asian thing. Race can only enhance your application for affirmative action purposes, but it can’t hurt it. Not sure where you heard that rumor from.

Your scope of practice will be a little different, but there’s nothing wrong with becoming a PA if med school doesn’t work out. I think the fact that you’re only doing okay at your undergraduate level and not stellar kind of gives you a clue that maybe med school might be too difficult.

Many pre-med students opt for become PAs when they realize they aren't likely to get into a U.S. medical school and or decide they don't want to spend that much time or money to become an MD. A 3.3 GPA is still low for PA schools, so you really need to improve your grades or you may not get into a PA program either. Another difference is that PA programs usually ask for a GRE score rather than MCAT. They also require 2000 hours of "clinical experience" before you can apply.

So...you can continue toward your first goal of going to medical school and if you don't get accepted, you can spend the next year getting your clinical hours, taking the GRE, and apply to PA programs.

A 3.3 GPA is a little on the low side, but you ought to be able to get in somewhere. The average GPA for PA school applicants accepted into PA school is about 3.5 (science GPA 3.36; non-science GPA 3.56).

Your overall GPA should improve in the next two years. You don't mention your major but I found, in biology, the more advanced classes were easier than the intermediates.

PA schools require GRE instead of MCAT.