If you have a child who is 8 months old, how long do need to wait to have another? Because a lot of people I know didn't wait very long?

• GB

If you think you have a medical reason not to start trying yet, then see a doctor. Otherwise, talk to your spouse. You could also ask people who have a short gap, what they feel the good or bad points are, to help you decide.

It's currently recommended to wait 18 months in between pregnancies.

• Mark

About a year, though you are far past the stage in which you are not supposed to have sex, which is 6 weeks. My aunt didn't wait that long and all I can say is "OUCH"!

• LizB

If you have a vaginal delivery, it's advised to wait at least 12 months before getting pregnant again, and if you had a c-section you should wait 18-24 months. Pregnancy and childbirth is very demanding on the body, and spacing out pregnancies allows your body to fully recover and replenish internal nutrient stores, as well as reduces risk of serious complications in future pregnancies.

if your body has recovered from the previous time and is ready for the next one is the best thing to consider I guess

There is no set rule about how far apart siblings are supposed to be. Each family is different. Just because a lot of people don't wait that long doesn't me you are supposed to do the same. That's a childish way of thinking. You need to speak to your husband, look at your finances, life goals and so on.

It up to you, whenever you are ready and want to have another child.

WE found 3 years apart works well ....................

Source(s): Grand Dad of Eleven.
  • Lôn

10 years..... why should taxpayers pay to keep your sprog because you can't use contraception?