Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Have you read fifty shades of gray out of curiosity?

I'm a big reader so I wanna try out it, but it's not my thing at all. I like dirty books but not bdsm. And I prefer if they're written by male authors.

• C

I got about halfway through the first one. The writing itself was so terrible that I was itching to go over it with a red pen and that was the reason I didn't finish it. If you read a lot the paucity of the writing might blind you to everything else going on. The BDSM community has been at pains to point out that it's a really terrible BDSM book too. If you ever feel like some intelligent commentary on why look up the old Pervocracy blog for a chapter by chapter commentary that also happens to be hilarious. If you're looking for a classic in the genre you could do worse than going back to "the Story of O."

• Jahal

Nope. Doesn't seem interesting.

• John P

Not "out of curiosity" but out of my unconsummated lust! Or did you really want to ask: "I am asking, out of my curiosity, if you.....?"

• chorle

No, I have read a lot of complaints from people who write erotica about the bdsm being all wrong in the book. My wife read them but likes Sherlynn Kenyon books much better. I have listened to several of Kenyon's books.

You might like Paul Cooley's Children of Garaaga

https://www.podbean.com/podcast-detail/7cv58-4a965...

I did. I think I finished the first book. It was terrible.

There are better examples of BDSM relationships circulating around the erotica community. Fifty Shades of Grey is a poor example of the lifestyle and E. L. James is an even worse author. All of the novels take the general plot straight out of Twilight. The apprehension, the being chased, the adoptive parents and mish-mashed family, the tortured soul and innocent girl. The books are about as good as the movies. - Subpar.

I haven't read it yet, but I plan to.

These books are about as sexy as a wet kipper. BDSM or not they are really badly written and although i tried to read them from curiosity, I was bored to tears by them. And for goodness sake don't buy copies. They are readily available as book swaps etc. Very forgettable literature.

Yes, I've read it. My curiosity is now satisfied and I feel no urge to read any more.

No. I'm fine with porn. I've written porn and read porn. I'm just not into making rape and abuse seem romantic.

• Elaine

I read part of it and to say the writing is dreadful is the understatement of the century. In terms of writing a grade niner could write better. If you look at character development there is nothing about the two major characters which leads the reader to believe that they could be attracted to each other. The Marquis de Sade's works like "Justine" are the gold standard in this genre.