If a mom and her adult son don't live together, & a loved one dies, is it okay for mom and son to give their own sympathy cards respectively?

My mom got a sympathy card for our cousin whose mother died, but she never advised me to get one BEFORE the funeral. Therefore, I figured no harm in waiting until after funeral... until I noticed our cousins reading the sympathy cards at the podium, therefore thanking those in the audience who gave the cards. Of... show more My mom got a sympathy card for our cousin whose mother died, but she never advised me to get one BEFORE the funeral. Therefore, I figured no harm in waiting until after funeral... until I noticed our cousins reading the sympathy cards at the podium, therefore thanking those in the audience who gave the cards. Of course, my mom and I were not aware this would be taking place, as reading sympathy cards at funerals is unheard of, as far as I know. When our cousin read my mom's card, I felt so rotten and unworthy, and wished she included my name in card. Am I better off just mailing him mine as previously planned?
Update: our COUSIN reading the sympathy cards, not COUSIN. Just him. Excuse the typo.