Does the universes metastability keep us safe?

Currently the universes stability is Metastable and I read an article from the New York Times that spoke about the Higgs field and at the end it spoke about several doomsday scenarios. It also sayid that the universes Metastable state would keep any of that from happening for several millions or billions of years. I was curious though does it also keep any tragedy from happening? Like tunneling to another vacuum, a true vacuum bubble from popping out of nowhere in the universe or a false vacuum, phase transitions, bubble nucleation and any other tragedy caused from the Higgs field or similar to that.... are ALL tragedy events from or involving the Higgs field, boson or potential kept from happening because of the universes Metastable state or only some of them? Will it stay like that for millions of years or longer or shorter? Let me know what you think about this

Favorite Answer

Currently, the universe is *thought* to be metastable. I don't think anyone's saying that this is better than being stable, but some calculations show that the universe will still last for an unimaginably long time.

• Brandon10 months agoReport

does that paper change anything about the fate of our universe ( as in is vacuum decay more likely to happen now) or is it just giving out information ( like scenarios they’ve made in there lab but no greater chance of happening) and what is that bounce effect there talking about?

• Who

NO WAY is the universe "metastable"

For a start - in a few billions years - the andromeda galaxy is gonna come crashing through our galaxy

some planets/stars from each galaxies are bound to crash into each other

Some stars/planets are gonna swap galaxies

the result will be that both galaxies will still exist but they wont be the same galaxies that were there at the start

" from happening for several millions or billions of years."

I think you should readjust your concept of metastability - millions, even billions of years are like the blink of an eye as far as the universe is concerned

• Brandon10 months agoReport

I looked back and the paper sayid billions of billions of billions of years from ever happening.

Individual (human) safety is fairly easy, anything else is...difficult.

I honestly think the Government is lying about the health of our planet, and ecosystem. i think the earth is dying. Might be, we don't take care of it.

I would palce ZERO credibility on anythinjg written in the New York Times. Their coverage is sensational rather than scholarly.

Go to a library and get a book.

The Higgs Field and our vacuum are in a stable ground state. They have been for 14 billion years.

What makes you and those scientists think it is metastable or in a false vscuum? What evidence is there for an unstable vacuum state?

• Brandon10 months agoReport

Iridflare - does that paper change anything about the fate of our universe ( as in is vacuum decay more likely to happen now) or is it just giving out information ( like scenarios they’ve made in there lab but no greater chance of happening) and what is that bounce effect there talking about?

We are relatively safe mostly because of the Vast Distances involved in Space

Millions of Miles between the Sun and the Inner plants out to Jupiter

And Billions of Miles to the rest of the Outer Solar System

One Light Year to the outside edge of the Oort cloud and 4 to the Alpha Centauri System

200 Million Light years across for our Milky Way Galaxy

Parsecs can be used to Measure the rest of the Universe

• Acetek

no. the universe is not a safe place. it does not care about us and it could kill us all at the drop of a hat

I don't know about any of that, all I know is that God is the ruler of the world.

Tcct Cuticguhvigvihibibh join