Trying to fix a computer charger cord just for fun. Need help.?

So, in the picture, obviously it's really messed up and this is what's left after taking it apart. Which wires are positive, negative and neutral? Where would I reconnect them? I don't have a voltage meter, so is there any way to tell the polarity by the colors?

Attachment image

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Gee, 4th of July is just a couple weeks more. Why don't you wait until that evening and then connect the wires. If it works, you are okay. If wrong, then at least you will have a spectacular display right in front of you.

• Rayal
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Craftsman makes a $10 voltage/battery/ohmmetre they go on sale all the time. You should get one. I use one to check polarity and voltage all the time. If you are going to do this kind of stuff it will save you from blowing up your much more expensive electronic devices.

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-function-18-rang...

• 5 months ago

TYPICALLY:

black is full power

blue is alternate voltage

white is neutral.

BUT it might be totally different!

Best to just cut the cord back a couple of inches (cm's)

SOLDER the wires to the same places as the wire colors are attached.

If you don't solder the joints, then DON'T attempt!!!!

• 5 months ago

Just... don't.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Well the black looks like it is connected to the outer sleeve of the plug, which would make it neutral/ground. As for the white and the blue, I wonder if they aren't both hot (+) with different voltage/amps. Some computers use a combination of power (use both when heavy load, and one when light). Do you have your brick still? The label might give a clue.

• Mason5 months agoReport

I do, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It says wide range input. Input: 100-240V, 1.7A, 50-60Hz. Output: 19.5V...the rest on this output is scuffed and hard to make out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.