Is it possible to open my own gym (personal training business) without any business qualification?

I’m 21 and found my passion and desire, however I have no qualifications in business, what advice would someone give and how do I start?

Many thanks :)

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

Yes. Just hire people with experience to run the place for you.

Go to the Fiverr site and get a business plan.

• 5 months ago

You cannot properly run a business without knowing the business of business. So you really need to gain business training through on the job experience, through academic instruction, or both before heading out on your own...preferably both.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Chances of success would not be high. Start by writing a complete business pan.

• Never
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Without money and experience you would likely fail. Passion does not mean much.

Maybe go to work for one, work up to manager for a few years, save money and then you might be in a position to maybe start your own. I'm guessing you could get used equipment for not too much.

leasing a place would be difficult too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Go to work at a gym and learn as much as you can about the business of running a gym. This will take several years, during which time you should be saving up as much money as you possibly can.

• 5 months ago

With a stack of cash, you can do anything you want.

Without the money to rent a space and buy equipment though...this isn't happening.

Go work for a gym and understand how they operate and make money...then write a business plan and see if opening your own gym would be feasible.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

I know a successful personal trainer who uses her basement or travels to clients' homes, so it keeps the "rent" overhead to a minimum.

• 5 months ago

As long as you follow local business codes, nobody cares if you know how or not. That is skin off your own teeth.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Work with a gym and learn more. You're young and not a formally trained personal trainer, so marketing yourself might be hard. Look to apprentice with a personal trainer at an established gym, and pay attention to how both personal training and the business of running a gym works. Save as much money as you can while doing so. After a few years of doing that, you can consider branching out by yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.