WiseMan asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

How do I give up fast food?

I'm a 33 year old guy that is very slim, but my doctor said I have high cholesterol and he said it's probably due to eating too much fast food. And he's right, I tend to eat that stuff about three times a week because I live on my own and work late and it's the easiest food to get. Plus fast food is soooo good.

In order to get my cholesterol down, I have to give up that stuff, but don't know how. Its only been 5 days since I last ate fast food and I am craving for it soooo much. Especially when people here at work are eating it and I can smell it.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can give up fast food?

Favorite Answer

It takes time and willpower. Your best bet is to eat whole, healthy foods, stop eating any and all foods which are processed, and also grains. Don't believe the hype that oatmeal reduces cholesterol because it's not true. Take salads to work, and maybe some sort of meat.

Meanwhile, you didn't say how high your cholesterol is. Mine is 212 and i'm not worried about it. It's what they consider borderline high and the truth is, they did a study on elderly people and those with higher cholesterol, lived longer.

The building block of each cell in our body starts and ends with cholesterol, as well, so without it, we'd be dead.

My husband's cholesterol was 119 when he had a heart attack, by the way.

High cholesterol isn't going to be a worry of mine because there is absolutely no scientific study which says it causes death. Our health problems in the USA revolve around eating sugars, grains and processed foods.

• WiseMan6 months agoReport

My cholesterol is 200 and my doctor said that is "very high" and that I need to stop eating fried food.

Try making your own food ahead of time and when you have leftovers just put it in the microwave and eat it when you come home. Look up recipes that are healthy alternatives to what you eat. I can see why its hard for you to walk away from it though bc before I had my daughter I went out to eat alot and it slowly but surely stopped so I just got used to it in time and I became okay with being in the house all the time when she was little. Change takes time. Look up healthy recipes, cook it and get used to eating it just bc its not fast food doesn't mean it doesnt taste good, and understand that change takes time and fast food is addicting they make it like that on purpose to keep ppl coming back it spikes your insulin levels so even if you can workout thirty minutes after your body won't burn its fat stores its like that after eating any meal but I feel like fast food is worse bc all the salt, sugar, and fat in it makes your body crave more of it. Its like an endless unhealthy cycle.

you can eat healthy food which taste like fast food like tortilla chicken rolls etc

Look at yourself in the mirror, that's your best motivation.

Will power. Its not easy, but you will succeed!

Think about it this way; you just kicked a drug amd still get cravings. Dfug addicts still get cravings. Just use will power to continue ylur journey.

Do it slowly - going cold turkey is always the hardest in my experience. Just cut back to once a week, and in the meantime get some higher quality fats in your regular diet. Eat some avocado, nuts, seeds (especially chia, flax and hemp) and fish. Eventually you can work to completely cut out fast food if you like but for now focus on small improvements in the quality of your diet each week - and think long term

• Todd

Fast food doesn't have to be unhealthy. It depends on what you get. High cholesterol, by the way, comes also from what people say is healthy food, like seafood.

Giving up is not the right answer. Food choice is. I get most of my fast food at the grocery deli.

just buy sornething else you like and have that take its place

• Mark

Fast food isn't "sooo good", but there are low-cholesterol fast foods, you know, but not at Rotten Ronnie's.