How can a person have an MRI scan if they have an allergy to the injection?

I don't know if it was iodine or the metal injection I was given as a teenager, but the second it went into my arm, my lungs started burning and I knew immediately that something was wrong. I almost died that day. Lost so much oxygen that I lost my vision temporarily and felt like my heart was going to burst.... show more I don't know if it was iodine or the metal injection I was given as a teenager, but the second it went into my arm, my lungs started burning and I knew immediately that something was wrong. I almost died that day. Lost so much oxygen that I lost my vision temporarily and felt like my heart was going to burst. Next minute, my body was spasming uncontrollably and my skin turned a green/yellow colour.

I'm really worried about this happening again if they give me an injection. I don't know which one gave me the allergic response. It was almost 10 years ago and I don't think my family kept any record of it. I need a brain scan again. I think I remember hearing the word 'contrast' but maybe I'm mistaken and thought it was that because I did some research after my attack and read about people having allergies to it...
Update: Thanks, Pippin. I don't know who my doctor was at the time, which clinic I attended, or even what hospital I was sent to unfortunately. I was living with my grandfather at the time.
Update 2: I didn't have a panic attack. I had a scan immediately before the injection, and the lady wanted to do another scan with the injection. I have no fear of needles, I was completely calm. The second it was injected into my arm, the burning sensation shot straight to my lungs. My eyelids swelled up. This was... show more I didn't have a panic attack. I had a scan immediately before the injection, and the lady wanted to do another scan with the injection. I have no fear of needles, I was completely calm. The second it was injected into my arm, the burning sensation shot straight to my lungs. My eyelids swelled up. This was definitely an allergic response.