GB
Lv 5

Female entertainers , used to keep their maiden-name on marriage. Why has this changed?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Back in the day the stage name often wasn't even the real name (Doris Day, nee Doris Kappelhoff being one such example). You don't often find female celebs hyphenating their surnames upon marriage unless they've married another celebrity. But when they do it's mostly for tabloid purposes because their names are fixed with SAG-AFTRA and it's a pain to change it officially with the Guild. Then there's the ultimate warning against this is in the personage of "Cheryl" (Tweedy, then Cole, then Fernandez-Versini then divorced again and no one knows what to call her), a British pop star who has a hit song entitled 'Call My Name'... No one KNOWS your name, Cheryl!

• RP
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

This really hasn't changed. It is up to the performer whether or not to keep her maiden name or to use it only for when performing.

• i + i
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Some entertainers (male or female) don't even use

their given name, much less keeping their maiden-

name after marriage. Nothing has changed, so your

question is rather oddly somewhat misinformed.

• GB
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

On the other hand, Elizabeth Taylor kept her single name.

• 6 months ago

It hasn't really. Some entertainers change there name, some don't, more or less the same now as before. Often entertainers keep their name if its well known, so they don't lose that name recognition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.