Gallstones?

Can an ultrasound miss gallstones? I have been suffering from abdominal and chest pains, acid reflux and diarrhea. The ultrasound was fine, blood tests show high BUN and high white blood cells, is this somehow related? Can it be a peptic ulcer? Can I have the stones outside the gallbladder?

Absolutely. There are several different kinds of gallstones. Most gallstones are invisible by X-ray, and many are invisible by ultrasound.

And if you do have gallstones in the gall bladder, you will have many more in the liver. There are usually no symptoms from gallstones in the liver, and often no symptoms from gallstones in the gall bladder. But gallstones in the liver will often move to the gall bladder.

So they can be hard to diagnose.

• Edna

I see you know nothing about gallstones. They WILL show up on an ultrasound - an ultrasound is THE definitive tool to diagnose gallstones. They aren't found in the liver. Gallstones are found only in the gallbladder, or in the bile duct leading out of the gallbladder into the stomach.

• Edna

Gall stones are NEVER outside the gall bladder or in the bile duct leading out of the gall bladder. An ultrasound is "the" diagnostic tool for detecting gall stones - they WILL show up on an ultrasound. A gall stone is a hard, calcified deposit that's easily visible on an ultrasound. The pain from gall stones comes about if a stone begins moving out of the gall bladder and into the bile duct.

You MIGHT have a peptic ulcer. A peptic ulcer won't show up on an ultrasound, but the abdominal pain from an ulcer can sometimes be similar to the pain of gall stones. A peptic ulcer is an open lesion in the lining of the stomach, but a lesion won't show up on an ultrasound. The prime method of detecting a peptic ulcer is with an endosocopy.

Ultrasound is fairly accurate for detecting gallstones, but its not 100%. You don't have all the symptoms that typically occur with gallstones.

An elevated BUN is an indicator of kidney dysfunction or possibly gastrointestinal bleeding.

The negative ultrasound result along with elevated BUN and WBCs, plus the digestive system problems raises the possibility of having some type of inflammatory bowel disease such as Chrons or ulcerative colitis. A diagnosis of inflammatory bowel disease cannot be made only with the things you mentioned, so its not certain that inflammatory bowel disease is the culprit. You would need further testing to make a diagnosis.

• kelvin

why not ask your doctor

• Christian6 months agoReport

I have to wait quite a bit till my doctor can see the results and I'm kind of desperate, why else would I post a question here?

If the gall stones are too small they can be missed

• Fuhr

Always solicit medial advice from YA. We are all advanced medical experts! You're in luck, I have diagnosed you with crybabyitis. Rub some dirt on it and get back in the game.