Lauren asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

I'm starting to hate my dog?

I love dogs. I have been begging for a dog since I was 6 (I'm 17 now) I finally got a dog last July. He's untrainable. I've trained several people's dogs in my time so it's not me being a **** trainer. He's a springer spaniel called Ollie. I loved him at first but his lack of discipline is awful. I don't have the money to bring in extra help right now due to private reasons (we're not poor just other stuff going on) but I don't get why his behaviour is so bad. He's very smart and knows tons of tricks but he's hella territorial and possessive, pulls my arms out during walks no matter what techniques ive tried etc etc. He's very friendly but nothing I do ever works with him. He's just a mess and ******* crazy. As I said I used to assist in training people's dogs so I ament just bad at this but he's just absolutely wild. I really don't know what to do this wasn't what I wanted in a dog. My whole family aren't enjoying him either. He also growls and bites if you try touch him in his bed, he used to lie back for belly rubs on it and still does but sometimes he'll just bite anyway. It's so frustrating I'm stuck (sorry if this doesn't make sense I'm crying while writing this)

Springer spaniels are highly strung working dogs that need constant training, exercises or brain training. If they don’t get that, they get bored or destructive. Look into agility or retrieving work,or using them for what they are bred for,ie sniffer dogs etc

Exercise exercise exercise. Exhaust him. Utterly. Provide stimulation in the form of mental puzzles — “find it” is a good game. Hide treats around the house and teach him to find them by giving him some hints. Buy a kong and stuff it with peanut buttery treats or cheese. Buy a food puzzle. TEACH HIM TO PLAY BALL!! My dog was a nut case until we discovered ball. Exercise your dog at the same time every day. Schedule is really important for dogs they need structure. Sometimes working with animals is very challenging. Try to see how your dog is a reflection of YOU. he might be showing you some things you don’t like about yourself. Good luck!

Never really saw a dog that was untrainable, some few may take very experienced keepers to train them.

Because you failed dog training 101, now you have a dog you don't like.

Just because you have trained dogs the wrong way doesn't make you a trainer.

You are doing it wrong.

Your dog is an adolescent. He has come to the age when he instinctively has to test his status in the pack. As a puppy - under 10 or 11 months - he was naturally submissive. Now, he is checking to see whether he can be pack leader. Don't let him. But don't be mean to him. This is a particular thing with adolescent male dogs.

He is not untrainable - as you said, he knows a lot of tricks that you have taught him. But he is willful, that is clear.

If you use an obedience collar correctly - either a "choke" collar or a prong collar if your dog is extremely strong - it will not pull on the leash, no matter how strong he is. The "choke" collar, correctly used, does NOT choke the dog, or even hurt him, because you use a quick jerk, not a sustained pull. This resembles the way the mother dog disciplines a naughty puppy - a quick snap. I never let a dog pull on a leash, and I bet I'm smaller than you are.

Does he get enough exercise? I'm guessing he doesn't. Does he play ball? Play ball with him until he is tired before you do obedience training. For now at least, do not play tug-of-war, because this is a competitive game and you don't want your dog competing with you. Once he is more obedient, you may do this, as long as YOU decide when the game starts and when it ends.

In general, praise him when he obeys; if he's really bad, praise him whenever he doesn't disobey.

You want to make clear to him that YOU are the pack leader, and in fact that he must never express dominance over any human. This will not prevent him from protecting you if there is need; he will know the difference.

Do not give up on him, because you have only a few months to go before he becomes an adult and calmer.

Of course there is no way that you can get this clear on Y!A, but I hope you get some help.

Look online for dog trainers that help you deal with a dog like this.

Good luck.

I have a couple of thoughts on this subject. If you are 17 you are a legal minor and you cannot own property. Dogs are property. It's your parents' dog. They can't afford a better trainer?

My business partner and my mother both owned Springers. I have owned at least 2 dogs all of my adult life. Both Springers were nasty, possessive of their belongings, a trial to be around. My mothers' dog bit my mother! My partners' dog liked one of his children and hated the other 3. His dog actually got in my car one day, wouldn't get out, I couldn't get him out, I had to drive to her school and pick her up, drive her home, she got the dog out of my car and into the house. I am not fond of the breed.

Your dog sounds like it needs consistent training. I have found that consistency is the key. What is not good one day can't be good the next. Do the dog's "rules" fluctuate?

Has he been thoroughly checked by a Vet? My dog was crotchety (for lack of a better word), and she's 130 pounds. I couldn't live with a crotchety dog. I took her to the Vet and he discovered a very large cyst on the back of her neck which was rubbed by the harness when I walked her. Had the surgery, removed the cyst, she went back to herself. I brush my dogs, but I never saw the cyst.

I rescued a dog from a fighting ring (she was a teaser, not a fighter), pulled on lead and I bought a fitted harness. She COULDN'T pull, and I had much better control of her. Once she was trained, she went back to a regular harness. My dogs are both large, and I would never walk them on leashes.

I appreciate your sadness. This has got to be tough. The truth is if you can't trust the dog, if the dog is wearing out its welcome, perhaps it needs to be rehomed. It could be a question of bad breeding or just about anything else. I volunteer in rescue, and I don't judge people. Sometimes a certain dog does NOT work out.

Did your family research the breed before buying the dog? I see people almost every day who buy a breed without research and discover it's too active or too territorial or too headstrong.

• Dimo

" ... I love dogs. I have been begging for a dog since I was 6 (I'm 17 now) I finally got a dog last July.... "

" ... I'm starting to hate my dog .... "

You loved the "idea" of owning a dog. You are finally learning the reality of owning a dog.

You also have thought about the future. A dog lives 10 to 20 years. You don't have the time be with a dog 24 hours a day. You will be moving out your parents' home, to some place that does not allow animals.

IMHO, let the dog go to someone that can take care of the dog, and keep it happy.

I have a few words for you.

Don Sullivan's "Secrets to training the Perfect Dog" DVD's will be a lifesaver for you. Created by master wildlife trainer and animal behaviorist Don Sullivan ( aka " The Dog Father") this system is designed not only to give dogs basic training, but also to rid them of bad behaviors like the ones you mention. You can order the DVD's and Sullivan's patented training tool, which is called the Command Collar, on Amazon Prime. You'll need to indicate what size collar you want. The Command Collar is designed to keep your dog focused, and allow you to communicate your commands clearly and instantly. It simulates a mother dog's own NATURAL corrections, and is NON-SHOCK.

I have used the system myself, and it really works- and FAST. You'll be able to teach your dog not to pull on you in about 5 minutes with it, and once he learns that lesson, it will be easy to break him of his bad habits. Try it !!

Some dogs are just insane.

If you get online & do some google research on Basic Obedience, you will find thousands of sites with instruction & videos to help you train your dog in Basic Obedience. It is only 7 commands but basic obedience is obligatory. It should take about 8 weeks to teach this. It will give you instruction on how to correct the things he does wrong while in training.

You might want to exercise your dog a bit before starting the training session. He won't be so energetic then. You may have already taught him part of it & just need to add a few things. Don't give up & don't let it frustrate you. Dogs are not as smart as we are & some hard headed dogs takes a bit longer to instill the full training in Basic Obedience.

I like working in a figure 8 cause the dog gets to be on the inside of one turn & on the outside on another turn.

There are also special head harnesses, & harnesses that strap on that make it impossible for a dog to forge forward.

You also need to work on his biting. again google 'stop dog from biting', 'stop dog aggression', 'working with a dominate dog', 'working with an aggressive dog' or anything that is similar.

Springer Spaniels are hunting dogs. They are bred to have lots of energy and stamina in the field. I suspect that your dog is behaving the way he is due to a lack of sufficient exercise. This is almost always what causes behavioral problems in any breed that is highly energetic. If you have a treadmill you should put him on it using a leash to keep him from jumping off.