Anonymous

How to get work at age 49, after working (over 23 years) in 67 jobs, in 14 industries, and in 9 cities/states, and 8 years self-employment?

Can no longer do the self-employment (dont use social media, work dried up, and cant afford to print 100s of papers/flyers/business cards); also landlord sold house I was living in, now staying in motel. Cant get unemployment, nor food stamps (theres an unresolvable problem with the qualification, which was my fault, now stuck in 2 year waiting period). Family all retired, and moved away; I have no credit/bad credit, no bank accounts, and have like 3 weeks and I wont be able to pay motel. Food and gasoline and supplies running out. Could sell car, but how do you look for work, I am in semi-rural area (no buses/cant afford taxis/ubers). Also most jobs not near here anyway, more near the city. What sucks is all the skills I have are in-demand skills. I have like 17 different resumes, each with different emails and phone numbers (theyre free google voice numbers). Already registered with staffing firms and employment centers, but you can only use 1 resume/1 skill set for each place, and no one wants someone with a general skills resume (its too confusing for HR and manager people ("screeners") to think about someone having like 50 different skills, I guess? Not sure what else to do, All my problems relate to the work problem. I have started like 22 businesses, but due to shortage of funds, they are all virtual-based. Also if I create any new type of business, I dont have like a whole year to wait to get connected through referrals,etc. What to do? Am I too far gone?

While you still have the car, move to a motel closer to where the jobs are. That said and done, good luck. At 49, you should have settled down long ago. It sounds like you have been playing around in your business life for far too long. When you get serious about life, perhaps, it will be good to you.

You need to start hustling. We are living in a time where technology is amazing and you can make loads of money from your phone. Keep in mind that self education is constantly required even after the formal education. There are alot of informative blogs, informative website, informative books, informative videos out there that can help you make, save & invest money plus you are able to save by going through most of their links. I constantly scout out informative stuff to help me grow and you should as well. My lastest that I found which helped my family and friends is https://www.motivatedjay.com/blog

It is time to wake up from the fairy tale plus constantly making excuses and accept that no one is coming to save you. We are adults with responsibilities so we must hustle..

Best

• Jay

Read the Excellence-Success site for some ideas on job searching and starting new businesses.

67 jobs in 23 years means you averaged about 4 months in each job. That looks bad. I would probably fudge the resume a bit, leave out short term jobs.. Put self employed in for longer & pick the jobs that you loved and stayed for awhile in. I wouldn't necessarily put in all the cities/states since it makes them think you won't stay long.

• Alex

Start with the basics. Look for fast food, retail, or general labor. Your immediate goal should be ANY employment. Once you have a job and income coming in, then you have some flexibility to start looking for a job that you want to pursue long term.

And if there are no jobs close to where you live and can't afford a long drive, move. Go stay at a YMCA close to where you find a job at. Then work on getting permanent residence established.

all of this because you are unwilling to learn how to use social media?

What do you do? If social media is really the key to keeping your 8 year business alive, you learn social media = it will take about an 2 hours to become an advanced user of instagram, another hour for facebook, nextdoor should take about 12 minutes.

Or find a general factory job, where no resume is needed.

• Judy

Will be very difficult. Try every temp agency in your area.

Your work history makes you incredibly undesirable for anything other than high-turnover jobs that require little to no training such as fast food or grunt labor. No employer is going to invest resources in someone who has had 67 jobs in 23 years until you prove yourself to be someone who isn't going to quit in three months.

What were you doing for eight years as self-employed? That's about the only thing you may actually be skilled at. If you can't find someone to hire you to do whatever it is that you were doing, then it sounds like you'd better start applying at places like fast food or big retail. If you can sell, there's always cars, insurance and real estate, but being on the verge of homelessness you need a paycheck NOW and you need it to come regularly, not if/when you sell.

There's always Wal-Mart and McDonalds. Good luck.

67 jobs in 23 years...you are a terrible employee. Its not too confusing...you picked up a few things along the way...but you definitely don't have actual skills. For the past 15 years, I have worked in 1 industry for the same employer...that's how you establish skills...not by jumping from job to job.

How did you start 22 business which are "virtual-based" but you don't use social media??? I don't understand this part...did you start businesses but never tell anyone about them?

You need to go ahead and apply at Walmart. Prove yourself there for a year and then start applying elsewhere. Take on 2 different jobs or more to cover your expenses. You are behind the 8-ball but you aren't too far gone if you are looking for advice...

Get off your high horse of false skills (don't mean to insult, just a cool phrase) and take an entry level job for minimum wage. That's what you do in your situation.