For 6 months, on and off, my spouse has smelled of alcohol. How do I know for sure? They swear they have not been drinking.?

This person is self-disclosed as a sober alcoholic for many years. I can't really give them a breath test. Maybe I'm mistaking it for some other odor? But for many years I've not smelled this on them--and now, I do. Anyway, it is a bad smell and it seems like alcohol. Their behavior does not seem a lot... show more This person is self-disclosed as a sober alcoholic for many years. I can't really give them a breath test. Maybe I'm mistaking it for some other odor? But for many years I've not smelled this on them--and now, I do. Anyway, it is a bad smell and it seems like alcohol. Their behavior does not seem a lot different when I smell this, but it does seem a little different. How do I know the truth?