Marriage questions?

We have been together two years, live together and have a dog. We moved fast. We are happy and everything. I’m 22 and he’s 32. He just told me last night that he doesn’t see the point of marriage in the legal way. He says that he thinks it’s a way to hurt guys financially which I don’t really see but I do... show more We have been together two years, live together and have a dog. We moved fast. We are happy and everything. I’m 22 and he’s 32. He just told me last night that he doesn’t see the point of marriage in the legal way. He says that he thinks it’s a way to hurt guys financially which I don’t really see but I do understand that when you marry you take on the other persons debt and their last name. Which I agree. He brought up my parents cuz my mom didn’t take my dad’s last night when they got married because of debt my dad had from years before but are good now and still hasn’t. But she doesn’t recognize that As not being married. She is legally married but didn’t take my dad’s name which is fine. so it made it sound like he didn’t want to get married and he said “what’s wrong with just being with the person you love and being happy with each other” I understand that point too but every girl dreams of her wedding day, the perfect man, the perfect ring... I don’t think I care about the legality of it though because I think marriage is really the celebration of your love and the recognition of continuing to build your life. Am I wrong to think this all? Is it wrong to tell him that I don’t want to date him forever that I would like to become his wife one day and give each other rings as the symbol of our love. And have a beautiful ceremony. It doesn’t need to be a legal marriage because that to me is not the reason to be married , but I want to celebrate our love one day.
16 answers 16