When a convo/text goes nowhere..?

Sometimes I'll be texting my friends and their response is just "Ok, that's good." And then I don't know where to take the conversation after that. I try to generate conversations about work, hobbies, but one friend in particular just answers very short and I'm thinking is it worth even... show more Sometimes I'll be texting my friends and their response is just "Ok, that's good." And then I don't know where to take the conversation after that. I try to generate conversations about work, hobbies, but one friend in particular just answers very short and I'm thinking is it worth even starting a conversation if it goes nowhere.
My friend will send me long texts/convos when something happened to her or she has something "juicy" to talk about, but if I just talk about my day in passing, I get little to no conversation.
Should I stop initiating texts since convo goes nowhere?