Anonymous

I’m nervous I’m going to lose my best employee?

I own a beach shop that’s open during the summer. I stay very busy I hired 6 employees. 1 of my employees is absolutely phenomenal. She’s 32 and is a teacher during the school year. 2 of my employees are subpar but have very limited availability. My other 3 employees are terrible but they have a very open availability and I can schedule them as needed. I’ve made it VERY clear I do not want to see phones on the sales floor yet I’m frequently catching them texting and making personal calls in front of customers and at the register. They work but are doing the bare minimum to help keep the shop running.

My really good employee has come to me with concerns. She feels like she’s the only one working, stocking shelves etc. She’s made it VERY clear to me that there is a huge problem. I’m still short staffed and I’d like to hire 2 more employees. I can’t fire my 3 terrible employees because without them I couldn’t run the store at all. I need at least 2 employees on the floor at all times.

I can see my good employee is becoming very frustrated and I’m really worried she may choose to leave and look elsewhere for employment.

Does anyone have any advice of how to handle this situation?

You have to be firm with the terrible employees. If they continue to disobey your policy, tell them to leave the next time they use a cell in the sales floor. BTW are they teenagers?

Ask your best employee (the teacher) to tell her friends about opening at your shop. She would be very happy to work with someone she likes....

Do not waste money on people with bad attitude.... you are losing money and time dealing with these people.

Source(s): I've had bad employees
  • GEEGEE

As a teacher with a summer job, ask if she knows any teachers who want to work at the store. She'd be inclined to refer people who she knows are good workers because it is in her best interest to do that.

Have a staff meeting and let the bad employees know they need to improve. Be very firm with expectations.

• Joe

How can an idiot such as yourself own a beach shop ? Fire the bad employees and hire more. Fill in and help as you wait. Give your great employee more say in how things are run. Sheesh, I never owned a beach shop and even I can see that ….

• Judy

ask your good employee if she knows anyone looking for a job that you could hire in place of the others

If she is that valuable, you make the exception for her, if she needs it, others you can replace, her, you can not.

Can you blame her? Why not hire some better employees that will follow the rules & benefit your company?

• Eva

Call a staff meeting. Tell them you've noticed them breaking the rules concerning cell phone use and if it doesn't stop, they will have to leave their phones in their lockers or your office. Give each one a list of the tasks to be done each day. If you have to, go as far as assigning the tasks.

Where are you??? You have one good employee and need a second on the floor...are you out surfing all day or do you also run another business? If you run another business, you need to hire a manager.

The way you get around this...next time you see a phone, fire that person on the spot. Even a crappy summer job (which, this is not) is important to those kids...especially if their parents forced them to get the job.

Most likely, you need to pay the employees more. Advance the good one to manager and give her authority.

• paul

hire more good people

Why are you being so unprofessional towards yourself

Have a staff meeting

All phones are now placed in a box and in the safe or your drawer. They are returned at breaks and closing time. Start with 2 verbal warnings and 1 final writtwn warning.

Tell the uselesa staff that you are not happy with theirbwork.

Tell the good staff you've fallen in love with her, as you obviously have done