Ahs
Ahs asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 6 months ago

How can I back up a hard drive?

I have a hard drive from a computer that stopped working, and I want to retrieve my files from it. I’m told it’s got a 43-pin IDE connection. What sort of thing do I need to buy to connect this hard drive to a computer to retrieve files? Also, can this be done with a desktop only, or will a laptop suffice?

• keerok

You need an IDE to USB adapter with a separate power adapter to connect your old hard drive to your new computer.

The IDE connector is what makes it slightly more difficult because if you had two desktops around, they would both need to be old motherboards that support this very outdated connection in order to just slap the hard drive into the other computer to just retrieve the data. They do make several things to make the conversion from IDE into something more usable, from IDE to USB adapters to docking stations and external enclosures, all relatively cheap. As far as someone saying that the adapter may be under powered, whenever I have purchased an external drive that needed more power, they usually give me a usb "Y" connector so that I can use two usb ports to power it.

A laptop IDE drive can be powered solely by a USB adapter like the one linked to by another user. This is because the power connectors are integrated into the data connector and they do not draw much power. A desktop drive cannot be powered from the USB port and will require either connection to an existing power supply or buying a "wall wart" with a Molex connector, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-100-240v-Molex-A...

You can use a USB to IDE adapter with either a laptop or a desktop, assuming you have a power source for it.

You can buy a IDE to USB adapter for the data transfer

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vantec-IDE-SATA-TO-USB-3-...