Should I have my radiator flushed and filled ?

I purchased my 2011 Nissan Juke in November of 2010. While I have had it almost 9 years, it only has a little over 29,000 miles on it. I have all the oil changes and other maintenance done at the dealership, and their inspections have never shown a problem, but I am still a little worried about how long the same coolant has been in there.

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

Anti-freeze not only keeps your radiator from freezing, it also contains chemicals that help prevent internal corrosion of the engine and cooling system. These chemicals dissipate over time, and you SHOULD flush and fill your cooling system AT LEAST every 3-5 years. READ the owner's manual that came with the car when it was new. It should provide a schedule of maintenance items that should be done at certain mileage or time.

Just get a drain and fill. Save the flushing for your number twos.

If it has been 9 years, then it is time to flush and replace the coolant. Typically today's coolants are good for 6 years. After that, they can get acidic and start to do damage to your cooling system. Regardless of the mileage!

It's fine....

Coolant can lose its properties over time and should be replaced. Are you sure it's never been done? If you read the service schedule it will say that this should be done at a certain age, often every 5 years or in my case 10 years. Mine was changed long before that. It doesn't need flushing unless it has turned to a rusty sludge. It will also say that hydraulic fluid should be replaced too.

Yes. Flush the system and put in fresh coolant. the original can break down over time and allow rust to form.

What does the Owners Manual/Maintenance Guide say ??

While coolant will still prevent freezing when it's old, some of the additives lose effectiveness with age not miles . . . such as those that prevent corrosion or which lubricate the water pump. It's especially important to fight corrosion in modern engines where much of the cooling system is aluminum.

I have Fords: the recommended coolant flush & refills are: new factory coolant: renew at 5 years and every 2 years thereafter.

If it will make you feel better, do a drain and refill. No need for a "flush" if there's no rust or discolored coolant.

That's just extra profit for a shop, and at this point, (29K) accomplishes nothing.

Put in "long life" coolant, compatible with your car model.

The coolant is fine. No need to replace it.

Get the whole cooling and aircon system flushed through. Sludge and scale will gradually build up and eventually cause a problem.