Is my dryer worth repairing, or is it dead ?

The last few times I used my dryer it stopped before the cycle was finished. When I push the start button again, it made a sound like the motor was trying to start, but wouldn't. After about 20 minutes it would start as normal. I did have slightly larger loads than normal, but they should have been manageable. It is a whirlpool, front loader that was purchased new in 1986. I will try a simple, inexpensive repair, but if it needs a new motor, or something like that, I would probably replace it.

• audrey
    Favorite Answer

Wow. A 33 year old dryer. If you possibly can, just replace it. A new one will be considerably cheaper to operate, too.

• scott5 months agoReport

Well the washer and dryer were purchased together, and the washer died 4 years ago, so I have been waiting for this to happen.

Buy a new one and put that one in a museum. New ones are better and more efficient. They probably do not even have parts for that worn out dryer you have. You would be wasting money if you tried to repair it.

that motor has a start/run capacitor which may be failing. It's about a $20 DIY repair. slightly more if a handyman

Source(s): grampa