Ronald asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 6 months ago

I am not an American so if I want to invest in the stock market do I need to be an American citizen/resident?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Unless you are from one of the restricted countries you are free to invest in the US stock market

Most countries stock markets allow foreign investors

• 6 months ago

Depends. If you are in most countries you can find a brokerage firm that allows you to buy US stocks. However, if you live in a country on the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) prohitbited list you won't be able to invest:

Currently, sanctioned countries include the Balkans, Belarus, Burma, Cote D'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Iraq, Liberia, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, and Zimbabwe. The list of sanctioned countries is updated periodically and is available here.

Source(s): Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC ... https://www.wm.edu/offices/techtransfer/ExportCont...
  • 6 months ago

No. You can invest online from just about anywhere.

• 6 months ago

Brokerage companies can be found in virtually every country that has a market economy. Contact one in your home country and learn how you can invest in US companies. (Investment laws and tax treatments can vary by by country.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

No. You can be from just about anywhere. Your money can be converted to U.S. funds easily, to invest in one of the "U.S." stock markets.

• 6 months ago

No.

If the brokerage you use is a member of SIPC you are also covered by SIPC insurance.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.