Breaking in/Training a stubborn horse (turning/schooling)?

Okay so I bought my 3 year old in December. I backed him on February and he s been a pleasure. I ve got to the point where I can hack him out with other horses and he s obviously still learning but he s good as gold for his age. He s just about to turn 4, so I ve started taking him into an arena for him to get used... show more Okay so I bought my 3 year old in December. I backed him on February and he s been a pleasure. I ve got to the point where I can hack him out with other horses and he s obviously still learning but he s good as gold for his age. He s just about to turn 4, so I ve started taking him into an arena for him to get used to the surroundings. He s generally a bit spooky in the arena, but nothing unusual. The problem ive been having with him is he s so bloody stubborn. Mainly when it comes for me asking him to turn left or right. I ride him bitless at the moment but because of this behaviour I introduced him to a fulmur snaffle bit which helps a bit but he s still resisting a fair bit and I don t want to rip his mouth out. If I ask him to turn left or right he will throw his head up all the way, maybe pull his head in the opposite direction and stand or he ll throw his head straight down to the floor and again refuse to move. I hate pulling on him, but most horses I ve broken in myself have never had issues like this or have got over them with practise and patience. He s been doing this for months now and even though I m very patient and persistent he s just not improving. He s up to date with everything so it s nothing medical, he s just a very stubborn pony! Any friendly advice or ideas would be appreciated :)
3 answers 3