Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 6 months ago

Where is Echinococcus multilocularis found in the united states?

To start this off, I live in Connecticut. When I was around 8 or 9 (i am 18 now), me and my friends were playing by a stream near my house (in Moosup, Connecticut). For whatever dumb reason we decided it would be a great idea to drink some of the water in the stream. It was not a lot, but still, I don't even know why we did it. I read about how infection can happen if contaminated water is consumed. I have become obsessively paranoid in the idea that I may have consumed a Echinococcus multilocularis egg by mistake and may have this infestation that I never knew about. So my question is, does Echinococcus multilocularis even occur in CT? Am I even at risk where I live? Is it a regional thing? This is a serious question and a REAL paranoia I have.

Favorite Answer

The extent of its distribution in the US is unknown but it is believed to be expanding. As of 2014, it has not been documented in Connecticut or anywhere else in the northeastern US. It was definitely not present in Connecticut 10 years ago. As of 2014, the tapeworm was documented in North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, and Missouri, and southwestern Michigan.

Regardless of where the worm has bee documented, its virtually impossible to have a tapeworm infection and not know about it after a month or two. Tapeworms cause a lot of symptoms once they reach a certain size and they are unlikely to go away without treatment. So, if you got a tapeworm as a child, you would still have it now and you would still have symptoms. This is an easy thing to deal with. Call your doc's office and get a lab order to analyze a stool sample for parasites, collect a sample, and drop it off.

• Dylan6 months agoReport

BTW, I discovered she had tapeworm by seeing little white segments crawling around her back. I just assumed that was something ALL forms of tapeworm do, so I assumed it could be Echinococcus

• oyubir

Yeah, it exists in CT.

That the only "yes" of this answer.

For the rest

1) Infection is really rare. Even more by egg.

2) You would feel symptoms by now

3) You drank from a STREAM of water. It cannot be contaminated by eggs.

• Dylan6 months agoReport

Also i dont know why it decided to start posting comments as my “mumbleowl” account and not my “dylan” one