I want to take a 2 day mini road trip with my friend in my dads car and I’m not under his insurance?

I live in Canada and I want to use my dad’s truck to do a two hour road trip with my friend. I’m not under his insurance, but I am under my mom’s. I don’t live with my dad and I’ve read stuff about being able to drive his car if I’m not under his insurance and if I don’t live with him. Is this true? Am I allowed to do this little road trip?

• May
    Favorite Answer

Because you do not live in your Dad's household you would be treated as any other occasionally driver of his car. You should be covered while driving Dad's insured car....if....... you have permission to drive it and have a valid drivers license.......but....don't trust my answer or other answers here. CALL YOUR DAD'S INSURANCE AND ASK

In view of your questions about how/where to drink alcohol (at 16 and 17) and where to smoke pot so you won't get caught I would suggest you not involve your father in your plans to take a road trip.

It depends ENTIRELY on the terms of your father's insurance policy. You could very well be excluded due to age or residence.

My stepchildren live with their mother. They are under 25 and are SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED from their father's (my husband's) motor vehicle insurance.

• g

Dawn,

Legally, you can drive your dad's car as long as it is current insured and registered as long as he has granted you permission to do so. In doing so you would be covered by the insurance policy he has on the vehicle.

However, if you are wise you will have your dad double check with his insurance provider to make sure there is not some underlying clause in his vehicle's policy not allowing so.

• Stephanie

Untrue - Dawn could be precluded from her father's coverage due to her age or where she lives. It is important to read the actual policy OR speak to the agent.

You will need to ask your dad to speak to his insurance company.

Yup, that's true. As long as you don't live in Dad's house or operate his vehicle regularly, there is no need for you to be a listed driver on his policy. And you'll be covered if you drive his vehicle, assuming you have his permission of course.

In order to legally drive someone's vehicle in North America, you need three things: 1) A valid licence to operate that vehicle, 2) the vehicle must meet all legal requirements to be on public roads, and c) the owner's permission. If you've got all three things, your legal butt is off the hook. Those first two things are pretty obvious, but many people claim not to know them. And the third thing is extremely obvious, because driving a car without the owner's permission is called theft.

The owner, not the driver, is legally responsible for their vehicle (and any damage it causes) at all times. If your dad says you can drive his truck and an accident happens while you're driving, you didn't just have an accident. He did, because he's the owner and he gave you consent to drive.

• JetDoc

"Am I allowed to do this little road trip?"

Maybe you should ask your Dad first.

best call HIS insurance guy and check ..........................

• STEPHEN

The insurance guy won't talk because the kid isn't the policyholder.

Yes, as long as they have insurance on the car, you can drive it even if your name is not on the insurance as long as you don't live with your parents