Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 7 months ago

Sons ex girlfriend has left her car in my driveway for over a year.?

My son bought a really big van with his girlfriend at the time, he paid for it and for some reason put the title in her name.. They broke up and the vans been broken down in my driveway for almost 2 years now, she contacted me a month ago asking if she could tow it and take it told her to please do, she just came and got her stuff out and is blowing me off, can i go to the sectary of state and try to get the title transferred to me and just scrap it or what can i do to get rid of it as she wont get it or transfer the title.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 months ago

You cannot assume the title. You CAN send her a notice (signature required) that you are having the car removed, and then have it towed somwhere.

In SOME States you can get a Court to declare it abandoned property.

You CANNOT begin to charge her storage fees if there is no such agreement.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The car (which is broken down and unable to run) has been sitting in your driveway for over a year. Your son's ex has effectively abandoned the car.

Call your local Police Department and tell them that there's an abandoned vehicle on your property and you want it towed away.. Even though the Title is in her name, the Police Department will arrange to have the car towed off your property. They will send the ex a bill for towing and for impounding and storing the car in the municipal impound lot.

If she wants the car, she'll have to pay for the towing and storage before she can reclaim it. In any event, it'll be off your property.

• 7 months ago

Nope, you can't assume the title. That's not how it works. What you want to do is have it towed off your property if she won't move it. And you want to cover you legal butt the whole time, so make sure you do it in writing and keep copies of everything for your records.

First, send the little bimbo a letter advising her that she has __ days to remove her vehicle from your property. Let her know that if she doesn't remove the vehicle after __ days (keep it reasonable, but don't give her too much time), you'll report it as an abandoned vehicle left on your property and have it towed away at her expense. Remind her that since you know who the legal owner is, it won't be hard for the towing company to track her down to collect. Send her a reminder halfway to the deadline if you want, just to have a record of how reasonable you've been through this whole ordeal.

Then, if the deadline passes and her heap is still sitting in your driveway, call up a local recovery company and tell them to drag that junk to their yard. Be sure to provide them with the vehicle owner's name, address and phone number if possible.

• lucy
    Lv 7
    7 months ago

The problem you have is that this vehicle in on (your) property/driveway. If you have it towed off, then (you) will have to pay for it. Now, if you can push it off the driveway on a (public) street, then the police could have it towed to a salvage yard, then the salvage/tow would bill the GF for the tow and the daily storage fees.

Or, if you know where she lives, then tow it to her (new) place, thus she is stuck with it. Since she (originally) wanted to tow it from your place, then came and only took out the personal items, "implies" she realized that the van is worth (less) than the cost to tow it, thus left it at your place.

• ponderer
      Lv 6
      7 months agoReport

I get cars towed all the time. Do not have to pay. The tow place puts the car in their yard for a set amount of days. If nobody comes for it and pay all the fees it is theirs to do with what they please.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 months ago

Call the police and tell them there is an abandoned vehicle in your driveway.

• 7 months ago

Unauthorized vehicle on your property. Get it towed if you own the place. C'mon.

• 7 months ago

Start sending her weekly storage bills, $30 per day is about the going rate at tow yards. After 3 months take her to the small claims court.

Alternatively, let the brake off and push it into the street.

• Carson
    Lv 6
    7 months ago

Roll it into the street.

Call the cops and tell them there is an abandoned car in front if your house and you want it towed. Problem solved. Screw that s1ut

Oh

And

Have a long talk with you boy. He gets whipped WAY to easily.

• Anonymous
    7 months ago

We can't tell you because the laws are not the same everywhere and you didn't mention where in this big world you live.

FAIL

I can tell you this much - if the vehicle was financed and never paid off you cannot get it titled in your name because the bank still owns it. If the vehicle was paid off and titled in her name than you can probably have it removed as an abandoned vehicle but you'll have to pay for it. If it is possible to apply for an abandoned vehicle title and take possession of it then the only way to find out is to contact your local motor vehicle registry and ask.

• 7 months ago

You can send her a 30 day notice that she needs to have the car removed or it will be considered abandoned property.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.