asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 months ago

how do chefs of Chinese food make their food taste so good? how difficult to make yourself in your kitchen?

Favorite Answer

Like any kind of cooking it takes skill, knowledge and lots of practice.

I’m a great cook, and I can do a stir fry, in a sortof American way for a healthy meal, but if I really want chinese food I go out for it.

The techniques and ingredients are things I haven’t practiced a great deal with, don’t want to have to buy and maintain the various ingredients and spices I’d need and probably won’t practice a great deal so I’ll never learn to cook like that.

Also, as I lived alone so if I did try to learn to cook Chinese I’d be making one or two dishes MAX, not the variety I like at a chinese restaraunt.

I have to say I LOVE hot and sour soup and can make a great one, but when I have that it’s all I have, it’s not a starter for several other dishes.

• IvaB

I've never worked in a Chinese restaurant so I can't honestly say how much MSG is used.Besides MSG is no "miracle" additive that magically makes Chinese food so good.I think there must be other factors.Chinese take-out is very popular,and so ingredients are usually very fresh.Another thing is wok cooking.High heat,fresh ingredients and sauces (American inspired I think) can make for a nice dinner.I make some Asian dishes (a killer spicy Thai chicken dish) also dumplings,potstickers,ribs etc.,and most are not that difficult.If you can find a used Asian cookbook that appeals to your taste and experience,give it a try.You won't be sorry.

One factor is their recognition of umami as a taste. They will add fish sauce, MSG or cook tomato for a couple of hours to achieve this taste.

• God

MSG is used a lot. We have been mislead to believe MSG is bad for us. Guess what, there is absolutely no evidence indicating that MSG is bad for us.

MSG. Buy it on Amazon.

• John

Lots and lots of msg.

Lots of salt, sugar and msg. Then often overpowered with onion.

Easy to make yourself and you have the option to leave out what you don't want.

Msg. Sugar. Corn starch. Garlic. Soy sauce. Onions.

MSG...............................

They use authentic spices that you cannot just get at your average corner store or grocery store.