Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 6 months ago

Weird behavior bearded dragon (sleeping/not using front leg?)?

So I've noticed the past week some weird behavior with my beaded dragon. For some background he's a full adult and never had any issues in the past. So for the past week he has been acting super lethargic; moving positions only a few times a day very slowly and other than that, he sleeps. He hasn't eaten much of anything either. The weirdest part is he doesn't seem to be using his right front leg when he does move himself. His heat bulb recently went out for a day or 2 until I could get a new one and replace it. Now the middle of his cage reads 82 degrees. I was thinking this is just brumation possibly due to the few days of colder temperatures but the not moving his leg got me questioning. Let me know what you guys think thank you!

• TPau15

Do you also have a UVB light? This would be a separate bulb from the heat lamp, unless you are using a MVB (mercury vapor bulb), which in the only one that emits both from one source. If you have a UVB bulb, how old is it? If its a coiled/compact UVB bulb, they are useless after about 4 - 6 months of use; long tube UVB bulbs last about 10 - 12 months. Humans can't see the UV light spectrum, so even if the UVB bulb is still producing light you can see, doesn't mean that it's still producing UVB light. Like heat, UVB light is important to diurnal (active during the day) reptile metabolism. Without it, they become sick and, eventually, die, if the problem is not corrected.

Without UVB light for extended periods of time, the reptiles skeleton becomes brittle and/or rubbery, leading to easily cracked/broken/deformed bones/limbs. It's called metabolic bone disease.

I would get a temp gauge on the hot side of the enclosure; the middle of cage reading isn't very helpful. What matters is that the bearded has access to a basking temp of 95 F (for an adult; 110 - 115 F for a baby) on one extreme side of the enclosure for 10 - 12 hours a day. This creates a temp gradient (warmest on one side and progressively cooler on the other) so the reptile can choose its temp needs at any time.

Here's a few reliable places to read about beardeds, to help you make sure all husbandry is correct, as to type out everything would take far too long:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/

https://herp-info.webs.com/beardeddragon.htm

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Source(s): reptile keeper for 22 years

If your beardie is over 6 years old, it may be old age and arthritis. Beyond that, is some injury.

i think he might have broken his leg or something the fact that he is passing food is bad enough in of itself if youre that worried i would take him to the vet to get looked at and checked out i remember a few years ago my brother had a leopard gecko Dexter and Dexter had a broken leg well as a result i thought that he had gotten his toes stuck on the pet carpet in his cage and broke his legs that way and my brother dropped Dexter to so thats why he couldnt move. i think if he is not moving his front leg he needs to see the vet first sun rise the vet might be able to shed some light on whats going on another thing is how much calcium are giving you him like crickets and medication and meal worms i ask because your beaded aka beardie he might the medical condition most common in leopard geckos known as metobolic a condition in which the gecko's legs are broken or weak to move due to lack of nutrition and calcium