someone might have cashed a cheque for me?

just wondering what I can do in this situation. I was supposed to receive a 1100$ deposit refund from my university in the mail, I never got it and emailed them today about it. they responded saying I received my deposit. I live in an area with a community mailbox, if there was a mistake and it was put in someone else's mailbox and they stole it would I be able to find out and get my deposit back?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • martin
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

You should be able to get it back, if you can prove that your check was cashed by mistake of a bank that didn't verify the person cashing the check. That's hard to prove, however. So first ask the university to have a close look and make sure the check was cashed, and while they do, look at the signature and see if it matches yours. Bank deposits and accounts are insured by the federal government, both your bank and the university's bank account, in case there was fraudulent cashing of your check.

• Robert
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Tell the school you DID NOT receive the money. They still owe it to you. Suggest they stop payment on whatever check they believe was sent. Then tell them you expect your refund at once while they investigate the mistake that they maid with the original check. You did nothing wrong. It is up to them to fix things.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.