Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenOther - Home & Garden · 6 months ago

Are really old houses safe?

I’m moving to Connecticut and most of the houses and condos I’ve seen are 1940s or earlier. Oldest I saw was 1880ish. Are these infested with mold and asbestos? Or are at least the good ones generally well-kept? I’m from somewhere where newer houses are the norm.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • olivia
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Homes built today must adhere to strict safety codes. Older homes, while offering plenty of charm and character, are more likely to have safety issues — potential problems can range from lead paint and asbestos to faulty wiring and wobbly stairs. But you can make an older home a safe home.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I live in Connecticut and have done so since the mid 1970's. There were NO condos in the state built in the 1940's, so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Many of the homes on the shoreline were originally summer cottages in beach communities. But, one by one, they were renovated or knocked down and built for year round use with modern materials. Nonetheless, just because a house is old does not mean it is infested with mold. Asbestos and lead can be an issue for any older home. Whether a home has been well kept or not will be revealed in the town records. Remember, home improvements should have permit records on file at the town or city hall. So, do check public information to learn more about properties you are interested in buying.

Connecticut is not such a great state to move into. Research all of the new tax laws, the tolls that are soon to be on Routes 91, I95 and 395. A high gasoline tax (23 cents per gallon), high property taxes among loads of other taxes, some taxes are the highest in the nation. Business are leaving CT every day because they are being taxed too much.

My property taxes just went up and some of the town's services have since been eliminated. So now we are paying more for less town services.

Please think twice before moving to Connecticut as it is a very expensive place to live. I am moving out.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You get what you pay for. You are buying LOCATION. Location costs money. Old homes usually are on the choicest pieces of land high on the hill. Poor people live in the new homes nearby in the flood plains & swamps.

Time tested is what old houses have proved. They are still standing...for a reason.

Mold is a new home disease. Old home construction never suffered the issue. Mold leads to rot. Old homes no get moldy so are still standing. Strong as before. Termites do not like to climb hills so they eat the rotting homes. Asbestos is safe "unless you plan to snort it up like cocaine". If you do that , then water is not safe (for you will drown)

. Anything that was a hazard can be easily encapsulated....so covered over so you are never in contact with it. As it is a home, it all does not have to be done in the same day. Bit by bit, little by little...you have time on your side.

• 6 months ago

Until recently I lived in a house that was built in 1869. No mold. No asbestos.

My current house was built in 1890. No mold or asbestos.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • C
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

They're as safe as what's been done to them and how they've been maintained. I've mostly lived in old houses by choice, my current home was built in 1863 and will be here long after I'm gone. A lot of new builds are built very poorly, did you know that many only have a projected lifespan of 60 years max? When an old house is still standing it's a good sign because it's poorly built contemporaries are long gone.

Having said that, living in an old building is a bit different. (The oldest one I've ever stayed a length of time in was built in the 1270s, that's very rare!) It's like having a constant conversation with it as all the people who have passed through it have contributed to it in their own way. In that sense the building has a personality. It's not a complete blank slate but something you have to negotiate with the house itself when you want to change something.

As with ALL houses, if you're looking to buy make sure you have a survey done so that you're not walking into a situation blind.

• 6 months ago

fam purchased a vintage 1894 brownstone,c 1980s, new electrical lines purchased,bsmt and the bldg in general was still quit sturdy & safe, 1200 bucks had to be used to remove asbestos pipe insulation,,an inspector,w no connection or motive in the purchase of your prospective property

,ought to tell you in detail,the condition v all the items you list,,,contact 2 or 3 guys,,bldg,if in good shape,( you may have 4 pages of details on what he looked at),make an offer,somewhat above a lowball,,,,,,look up tax records,bank proceedings involving the house,an old house can still be a great house,you have a lot of work to do

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You're kidding, right? Older houses, in general, are much better built than modern homes. They've stood the test of time. My current house was built in 1930. It's the newest house I've owned. Anything built post-WWII is cheap crap.

• oil field trash
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

You are wrong about newer houses. Many are very well built and more efficient than many older houses. One should not generalize about one group or the other.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.