If you fake having a gun and rob somebody at "gunpoint" but you really dont have a weapon can you be charged with armed robbery? Curious lol?

Update:

Sounds stupid but I am asking because you can get charged with murder even if you didnt kill the person so if you pretend you have a gun under your shirt can you be charged with armed robbey?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Best Answer

If the person being robbed reasonably believes you are (or may be) armed, then you can be charged with armed robbery

• 5 months ago

Not only charged with armed robbery (because the victim had a reasonable belief you were armed), it also gives them the legal right to use lethal force to stop you, i.e., shoot you dead on the spot. It simply doesn't matter whether you actually had a gun or the gun was loaded or real. They BELIEVED it was real and you're just as dead. Some incredibly stupid criminals have chosen to die that way.

Also, not clear why what you mean by "charged with murder" if you didn't do the killing. Yes, there is such a thing as "inchoate" crime (aiding and abetting or conspiracy to commit murder), as well as "felony murder" occurring while you're engaged in any other felony that results in death.

• 5 months ago

Yes. Pretending to have a weapon causes as much fear as actually having a weapon and carries the same charges.

• 5 months ago

Yes you can.

Many many years ago, I was the victim of an attempted robbery. The thug put his hand behind his back, said he had a .38 and said, and this is a God's honest quote, "Give me your wallets or I'll fill you full of lead like a pencil."

Silly criminal, we actually had a gun and pulled it on him, then called police and held him at gunpoint until police arrived. He had no gun. But he was charged and plead guilty to 1 count of "attempted armed robbery" and was let off on the 2nd charge for the other person.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

It's also funny because pencils haven't had lead in them for a very long time. It's graphite.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yes because due to your words/actions the victim thought you had a weapon

• 5 months ago

Yes because you wanted the victim to believe you were armed.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

The keywords in armed robbery are ROBBERY. Armed or not, you are still ROBBING the person.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Doing it with threat of force by a weapon makes it armed robbery.

• Bruce
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

In my state, that is still armed robbery if a reasonable person would believe you are armed. Simply saying you have a gun or giving them a note saying you have a gun is enough.

• 5 months ago

In my state (Louisiana) doing that is First Degree Robbery and the prison sentence is from 3 to 40 years at hard labor without benefit of parole, probation or suspension of imposition or execution of sentence.

https://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2006/146/78...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.