Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Can seeking counseling stop you from getting a good job?

I’m a 19 year old sophomore in college studying education. I’ve felt really low of myself and my life for months now due to problems at home and I think I should seek counseling from my university counseling center. I just fear that it’ll be put on my record I guess by the counselor and it’ll keep me from getting a job, considering I’m going to school to be a teacher. I just want to know if that’s how it works and if there is any free online counseling sites that I could possibly go to instead?

Your medical history is personal and confidential unless you go around blabbing about it. Then it's not

Your employers dont receive a full transcript from your school typically. I do know there can be some troubles working with children if you get institutionalized, but counseling should be no big deal AT ALL. Please call the office, they will give you the true answer though.

Any psychological counseling you get in college is kept confidential, and does not show up on your transcripts nor publicly reported records.

Honestly I don't think the school would hold it against you. They are there for students who need to vent and get something off their chests.