Ray asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Audio books: Do you look up words that you don't know or you skip them?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

No I'll just skip with an audio book

With paper books I look the word up

• 6 months ago

Usually no because I listen to them in the car

• Tim M
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

I skip them. I mostly listen to audio books in French, my second language, and even though I'm fluent I don't know the slang words, but I get the meaning by the context.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I do on kindle. Not so much on audiobooks.

• Ray6 months agoReport

So you ignore the words you hear that you don't know?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

I listen to audiobooks when I'm working out, which doesn't make it easy to drop the weights or run home to look up unfamiliar words.

• 6 months ago

I never skip the words that I don't know while reading the books. we should learn those words while reading never skip these words

• Ray6 months agoReport

How do you ensure you don't forget those words?

• 6 months ago

I rarely come across a word that I don't know, but if I'm reading a book, I'll probably look it up there and then. If i'm listening to an audio book, I'll try to surmise what it means and then look it up later.

• Voelven
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It's never been more than one, so it hasn't been too difficult. I guess if it were more I'd maybe quickly write it down somewhere.

• Athena
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

That is what I love about Kindle. If you don't know the word than just point to it and your dictionary will tell you what it means.

• chorle
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

I go with skip until I can look then up safely/ It depends on if I understood the context and I wait until I can do so easily so Not when I am driving.

• chorle
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

It used to be one of the skill taught in high school English class but yes it is more if you don't know one or two words than if you don't understand most of the sentence

• 6 months ago

I look them up so I better understand what I'm reading about.

• Ray6 months agoReport

So if you're reading a scifi and every sentence contained a word you didn't know, you would do that?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.