Ray asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Audio books: Do you look up words that you don't know or you skip them?

No I'll just skip with an audio book

With paper books I look the word up

Usually no because I listen to them in the car

• Tim M

I skip them. I mostly listen to audio books in French, my second language, and even though I'm fluent I don't know the slang words, but I get the meaning by the context.

I do on kindle. Not so much on audiobooks.

• Ray6 months agoReport

So you ignore the words you hear that you don't know?

I listen to audiobooks when I'm working out, which doesn't make it easy to drop the weights or run home to look up unfamiliar words.

I never skip the words that I don't know while reading the books. we should learn those words while reading never skip these words

• Ray6 months agoReport

How do you ensure you don't forget those words?

I rarely come across a word that I don't know, but if I'm reading a book, I'll probably look it up there and then. If i'm listening to an audio book, I'll try to surmise what it means and then look it up later.

• Voelven

It's never been more than one, so it hasn't been too difficult. I guess if it were more I'd maybe quickly write it down somewhere.

• Athena

That is what I love about Kindle. If you don't know the word than just point to it and your dictionary will tell you what it means.

• chorle

I go with skip until I can look then up safely/ It depends on if I understood the context and I wait until I can do so easily so Not when I am driving.

• chorle

It used to be one of the skill taught in high school English class but yes it is more if you don't know one or two words than if you don't understand most of the sentence

I look them up so I better understand what I'm reading about.

• Ray6 months agoReport

So if you're reading a scifi and every sentence contained a word you didn't know, you would do that?