I have a desire to change my major to computer science but I’m bad at math, would this be a bad move?

I’ve loved computers and the idea of programming and learning how games are made and software since I was 10 years old but my downfall is I’m not the best at mathematics. Could this hold me down or is it doable? I’m trying to change my major from marketing to this

REPEAT after me..."would you like fries with that".

There isn't that much math involved in computer programming (and you can just use a calculator for any that there is) but the problem is that the people who are good at it often have the sort of brains that are also good at math and vice versa.

So, if math isn't your strength then you may not be great at programming too but you'll probably be ok at it. Anyhow, if this is what you really want to do then go ahead. Whatever you lack you can make up for by working a bit harder than your peers, if you are willing to do that.

• Brian

My first degree at the University was in Computer Science. I needed College Algebra and Elementary Statistics. I even had to choose an elective math course, of which I choose Elements of Geometry. As I went on to other degrees, I never did have to take another math class.

• .

My son is a senior CS major and his freshman year he had to take the Calc 1 and 2 sequence. He's actually good at math, but got a B+ in the first semester. About half the class failed.

So yes, you need to be good at math to pass. But coders don't really use calculus. They need to be good at algorithms.

At my university, computer science majors have to take calc 1 and 2, BUT the teacher said computer science students dont need that info, it doesnt apply too much to them. So if you're good enough to pass mandatory classes, I dont think you will need to apply too much of it to your programs! Ive taken a couple programming classes and never used anything above basic high school math, if that. If you love something, dont let anything stop you!