Is it unusual not to sign anything when checking into a hotel?

I checked into a hotel today, but the attendant didn't have me sign anything. He just gave me a room key. I did call ahead yesterday and made the reservation. I don't recall ever not signing something when checking into a hotel.

• MS

I can't remember the last time I had to sign something when checking into a hotel.

No, the time you sign if anything is on check out. Some may have you sign the terms and conditions, but few do.

Not at all you flash your phone or printed confirmation and thats it

• DEBS

Typically they would check your ID and run your credit card which will be charged at the end of your stay. I can't recall ever having to sign anything when checking in. I'm not sure what it would be for either. You've already agree to the terms when you booked.

yes, I always have to sign something.

• Greg

It is normal these days.

• Clive

Not particularly. They know who you are, you accepted the contract of being allowed to stay there by actually turning up and accepting a key, so there's no need for a signature.

No I don't think that is unusual, you would have needed to provide a credit card for the reservation so that's all they need, signing in is an old outdated custom from back in the days when cash payment was still common and anybody could use a false name, some hotels continue with it as a tradition but most don't.

• martin

As long as they have your credit card for the reservation, they will get your money. They probably have no reason to doubt that you are the person who called for the reservation because you told them your name. But it isn't normal that they wouldn't ask you to sign.

That's really gay bro.