Advice for a young couple trying to get an apartment?

Me and my fiancé want to move into a nice apartment. His credit is 650 and mine is 690. We both only have 1 credit card because we recently decided to get one. Growing up I’d hear all these horror stories about not messing up your credit so yes I did wait until now at the age of 21 to finally get one. Together our... show more Me and my fiancé want to move into a nice apartment. His credit is 650 and mine is 690. We both only have 1 credit card because we recently decided to get one. Growing up I’d hear all these horror stories about not messing up your credit so yes I did wait until now at the age of 21 to finally get one. Together our yearly income is 40,000 and we have no kids. We do have a savings account with $20,000 because we have been saving since we first got jobs. I’m in college studying to be a nurse and I don’t have any student loans due to financial aid. Our only major bills is pretty much rent, light, water, phone, car insurance and health insurance.
Where we live, rent is 1,000 and the neighborhood is horrible!!
Been here for a year and I reallly want to move. Staying here at this point is not an option. (The current landlord didn’t care about credit). I’ve been looking for other places that are 1,000 a month but so far we’ve been denied 4 times and all of them said because we don’t have a lot of history. I was wondering would it be a good idea to offer to pay rent a year in advance to appeal to the landlord since we don’t have credit history or really good credit or is that a horrible idea?