I need help with my future and what to do with my life?

I'm 18 almost 19, I graduated June 1st. I still don't know what to do with my life yet. I mean I have ideas but I don't have a set plan yet. I feel bad about it because mist my friends have a plan and a college lined up already and I'm still tryna figure stuff out. I've ways had a passion for art, I've looked up jobs for art but I'm not getting a lot of options and none seem interesting so far. My moms pushing cosmetology but I don't want to do peoples hair and makeup it don't seem fun to me plus I'm scared of messing up. Help!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

Artists, musicians, and other creative types traditionally create their own jobs - they are self-employed. That's even more important now than it has been for the past centuries & millennia!

If you want a job & a paycheck, you don't want to be a hairdresser or cosmetologist either. These are not salaried, or hourly wage, positions - you rely on your percentage of the bills, less cost of your "chair," and tips. But the world is moving into the Post-Jobs Era. Already over 35% of American workers are self-employed, freelance, contract workers, etc, rather than salaried or hourly employees.

• 6 months ago

If I had to live my life over starting at your age, I still would not know what I wanted to do. That was 50 years ago. I suggest you consider doing something that keeps you busy during the day, like being a receptionist in a doctor's office. Then you can take a college course in the evening for a few years to see if anything interest you. You might look into training to be a graphic designer. It takes some artistic ability. The only thing that ever interested me was photography. Like you, I saw early on that there were very limited opportunities. i became a claims adjuster, and my photography work was my specialty.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.