Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

How do I get my roommate to wash dishes?

My black roommate has continuously ate food and left the dishes by the sink for ME to wash!! This is disgraceful behaviour, and I've told him many times, but he just tells me I'm a slave driver! He's told all our friends that I'm trying to bring back slavery and that I make him do work because I'm a racist. My friends are all against me now and won't believe a thing I say. How do I get him to wash his dishes without bringing race into it?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Get a set of dishes for your own use and hide them in your room - so your roommate can not use them. If your roommate wants clean dishes, sooner or later he'll have to wash them.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

How do I know this? Been there done that with the most pig sty roommate anyone could ever have. I lived alone in my next apartment.

• 6 months ago

Find a new place. That's all.

• Alan G
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

Perhaps you could be solution oriented and share the household duties - maybe you can be responsible for the dishes and your roommate could vacuum or clean the shower. What does your roommate like to do?

• 6 months ago

Stop washing his dishes. Just do yours.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Put all plates, bowls, cups and silverware into storage except for two servings. Wash them when you use them and leave them dirty for him.

• 6 months ago

break it down into the logical components.

A: if you use a dish you must wash a dish

B: roommate used a dish

Therefore, roommate must wash the dish

If they try to bring in point C: I am black

well point C is not relevant and in no way applies to the premises or the conclusion.

• 6 months ago

I had a roommate like that, we put his dirty dishes on his well made bed.

• oldprof
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

And then you'd really get the racist card played.

• Steve
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Assuming this bogus story is true, you should reply that you’re his roommate. Everyone has to clean up for themselves, regardless of race.

You would say that to your friends, too.

Logic works. Use it.

• Steve
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

I’m not young, no. Logic works fine for those who use it correctly. Garbage in, garbage out.

• 6 months ago

buy him paper plates so he can throw away

ask him to pay half the cost of cleaner to wash dishes

• 6 months ago

Why's his skin colour relevant to whether she washes the dishes or not. Maybe she picks up on the fact that you actually discriminate and she's testing you. You are a racist and that's OK if you admit to it.

And to get him to do the dishes, simply tell him that if you dirty it, you clean it. No need to mention race at all. If he can't get the concept of chore sharing, then you can't be roommates and one of you should room with someone else.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Sorry, my desire to help you or even read your question disappeared at "black".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.