Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSTDs · 6 months ago

Is it possible to have a false positive herpes test?

I ve been in a committed relationship with my boyfriend for a year now. Prior to us dating, I ve seen my GYN and have been tested for all STDs in March 2018 and also June 2018 before my bf and I became intimate and my Boyfriend did too and we were open with sharing eachother results. (both tested for HSV 1&2)

Around January of this year, I had the classic symptoms of a genital herpe outbreak so I immediately saw my GYN. He told me it was herpes immediately before I left the room. I went down to the lab to have blood drawn as well, which came out negative. I was furious and had my boyfriend get tested as well,..he never had an outbreak and his herpes blood test came back negative as well for both HSV1 and 2.

It is now June of 2019 and I take no medicine and I ve never had any signs of outbreaks. Is it possible that I don t really have herpes?

• kelvin

you never got tested for it as him saying that doesn't mean you had it

• Ambur6 months agoReport

I did, I have my online health portal and I can see the results of all health records since I was born. I've been tested for HSV 1&2 in March 2018 and June 2018 and tested negative both times.

Yes. False positives are common with blood tests for HSV. A more definitive test would be a swab sample from the actual sore. I'm surprised your physician didn't suggest that.

• Ambur6 months agoReport

He did a culture test but he diagnosed me with herpes before I left the office and before I got the swab results. He basically did a visual test lol

Yes, if they did not actually test the vesicle fluid for HSV genetic material. The blood test is not that great.